9.29.2009

snooditude


what could be simpler, more versatile, and suddenly, more chic, than a long, knitted tube? the snood abides. and once again, it's a trend we knitters were onto long before burberry or missoni thought to revive it for fall.

rifling through my stash of vintage vogues, i came across this rihanna-ready specimen from 1985. insert your own shoulder pads and thinly veiled irony and you're snood to go! everything old is new again! or, as my mother likes to say, "it ALL comes back."



but this time around, it is decidedly NOT your grandma's snood.



a quick google turned up versions from the high-end net-a-porter to the more affordable gap.





or, for even more recession-friendly fashion: grab some bulky yarn from your stash and a pair of big needles and whip up your own. with a few additional inches of stockinette, my free XO UO cowl pattern could easily be turned snood-worthy.

7 comments:

Mandy said...

"The snood abides." Classic.

Unknown said...

i think it's bit odd that you blogged about this today. Because. I dreamed about a really weird but beautiful cowl last night. It made me realize that I need to just go ahead and make myself one. I love that cabled greyish-eggplant one...
this sounds very boring, but I was seriously excited about this coincidence.

clairity123 said...

its about time the cowl morphed out of its cute lil buttoned self. Cowls seriously can be soft, cute lil neck warmers to huge chunky,cabled capes in disguise.I have been seriously swatching yarns doubled for a while to get the chunk and the drape without paying the Huge BUCKS for yarn pies with the yarnage of 66 yds for 11-14.00 dollars range.....god I miss shoulder pads.

Christie said...

I like your grandma's snood. I have had my eye on making one. And that cabled cowl...must make that...after the pom pom hat. :)

Julia said...

I concure: I'm totally stealing 'the snood abides'. Best new catch phrase since "smizing".

Erin Wallace said...

How strange that you are writing about the snood when I have been itching to knit one - a light, airy, lacy one - since Friday? I think the fashion conscious world must have snood on the brain! Love the last pic, it would be such a quick knit and oh so chic!

Jillian Renee said...

I like "snoods" and they are really easy to make. Have you seen the book, Cowlgirls?

Related Posts with Thumbnails