i've yanked madame butterfly out of the cocoon, kicking and screaming. yep, this is the same one i started back in august. and put away in disgust in october or so. i just couldn't get the stitches to line up right. but then...illumination.
i found this great blog with all kinds of wonderful butterfly tips. it really inspired me to make it work. and suddenly, i saw it. the diamond pattern was finally emerging. you can really see the (ahem) metamorphosis in this shot.
notice at the bottom how the diamonds aren't really diamonds at all. they're not even cubic zirconias. they're gooey amoebas floating in the ether of my poor misguided kidsilk haze. but then...amazingly...dare i say miraculously...the diamonds begin to appear. it took me an entire back and about 10 rows of the front, but i think i finally GET this pattern. i can see where i need to do what--even when if the edge decreases throw me off.
here's an aerial view:
(sigh.) i think i'm in love.